Monday, 25 April 2011

Let's start at the beginning

Hello, my name is Kate and although I've written for years these past few months have been a bit of a whirlwind and somehow I now seem to be on the verge of self publishing my first children's book called 'Beyond The Forest'!
Life if full of coincidences and takes you along sometimes rather obscure paths to get where you're meant to be. In August last year I left a full time, secure job for various reasons and did some temping locally. Out of all the many thousands of people I could have met, I found Stuart Wakefield (great blog by the way - Relief from Words) who introduced me to the National Novel Writing Month. We loved it so much that we formed our own writing group, Writebulb, with two other amateur writers, Brigid Makau and Jane Lomas.
I learnt an incredible amount in a very short time but what really blew me away was how big a part social media networking played in the book world. Then we had Penelope Fletcher, a young Indie writer, in to talk to us and it was as if everything fell into place - I can do that, I thought. So I finished a Burly and Grum tale I'd written, spoke to the incredibly talented Rob Jones who brought my characters to life, read all about Smashwords (wonderful, wonderful concept), contacted the Born Free Foundation to see if they'd be interested in working with me and they said yes, I bought myself a Kindle and in a couple of weeks hope to publish my first ebook! Wow!
Am I excited? Yes? Terrified? Funnily enough no - I'm just ready to give it a go! Wish me luck and I hope you enjoy reading a little more about my characters, Burly, Grum, Max and Mike.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kate!

    It has been an incredible journey, hasn't it?

    I think that Beyond the Forest is a wonderful story and I'm excited to be able to buy it on Smashwords as soon as it's released.

    The fun artwork really captures the mood of your characters and scenes.

    Roll on the launch party!

    Stu x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kate

    I really love your blog and the story is wonderful. I can't wait to buy it on Smashwords - I'm so proud of you!! You're a very talented lady and I'm so pleased we're writing buddies!

    jane.xxx

    ReplyDelete