Sunday, 8 May 2011

Surprises along the way

I've just finished uploading Beyond the Forest to Amazon. It will take a couple of days for it to be reviewed and then hopefully it will be available on line. It's still being reviewed at Smashwords. I've learnt so much in the last few months - I've bought a Kindle, set up Facebook page, started this blog (I'm building up to tweeting...). I always thought I was pretty good at networking, but it turns out I'm a bit of an amateur - social media networking is in a different league! I've also learnt an enormous about formatting and have enjoyed discovering how to adapt a book for the digital world.
All this has been done inbetween working full time and running a home (mind you, the dust is mounting up now!) and I've been pretty stretched. I manage (a) by relying on the support of a group of friends who also write and who are travelling along the same path, and (b) by napping on the train into work!
It's been hard, I often feel stupid, I get tired but more than anything else I feel a great sense of achievement. 
I may not sell more than a handful of books, but once I found out about self-publishing I could not have done anything else other than become an independent author.   
It feels really good to know I can take more control of my work.  I was able to choose my own illustrator rather than have that decision made for me, I was able to contact the Born Free Foundation to see if they would be interested in working with me (thank you Born Free for agreeing!) and I just feel that my path is becoming wider and clearer in front of me. 
I want to learn, I want to do the best I can and even though I may have a few bumps and surprises along the way, I'm looking forward to the future.

1 comment:

  1. Kate, you have worked tremendously hard on your brilliant book. I know it's going to be a huge success. Hopefully soon you should be able to slow down a bit - but not for too long! We want the next book!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete