Wednesday, 10 August 2011

Changing dynamics of the publishing industry, ie. learning to move fast enough

I forgot my kindle today and felt somewhat bereft on my way into work - it's hard to believe that six months ago I didn't even know what a kindle was!
So with 40 minutes to kill I sat on the train and thought about how much I've learnt over the last few months, especially about social media networking and marketing, and how excited I am by it all.  When I say 'all' I mean the ongoing dramatic changes in the publishing world and the opportunities for indie writers. People like myself are grasping the opportunity to self publish with huge enthusiasm and energy.
Meanwhile, publishing companies and literary agents have been slow to grasp the fact that self published writers can, if they have enough talent and dedication, become successful without their help. As more and more indie writers like Louise Voss are hitting the headlines with their success it is an issue that publishers have to face up to. Or are they already being smart? In theory, now all the publishers and agents just have to sit and wait for dynamic authors to do all the hard work to get to the top of the pile and then step in with an offer. Some indie authors love the social media and marketing side of their business, some just want to write and have the security of a large organisation support them.  On the other side of the fence meanwhile, long established authors are rebelling against publishers and, seeing what royalties indie authors can achieve, are demanding a higher percentage, better services. It's all fascinating stuff and it's going to become even more complex and fascinating as time goes on.  I'm looking forward to it!
If you're interesting in the changing dynamics of the publishing world read Mark Coker's presentation - Literary Agents' ebook Roadmap - it really does give you a lot to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment