Sunday, 28 August 2011

A Postcard from Kate

Yes, I've been on holiday for the last week - I visited my sister who lives on the Isle of Wight. In the very best possible way, my sister is like Daffodil and tries to look after my best interests by cooking me wonderful meals, making me go for long walks and generally encouraging me to relax. 
   Despite the fact I had my sister looking after me and the Isle of Wight is not exactly bear country, I still couldn't get away from Burly and Grum - downloads of The Secret City continued to steadily rise (over 5,300 now), I had my first author interview by the wonderful Kitty Bullard from Great Minds Think Aloud blogspot (and a great deal of fun it was too!), I updated the Burly & Grum website with Stuart's help (finally cracked the Facebook like link!), I've started work on the third book and am now formatting the first two books for print on demand. 
     I'm trying to keep my logical head on when I think of the breath-taking number of downloads I've had for the Secret City as Beyond the Forest is only just into double figures! It will only be when those who have downloaded The Secret City have actually read the story and then actively search for other books I've written, will I know whether I've been successful or not.
   However, I'd like to digress for a moment and go back to Great Minds Think Aloud. I first came across this group when I joined Goodreads and they kindly invited me to join their Facebook Literary Community. I'd recommend this group to any aspiring author; the organisers take a genuine interest in your work, give you a platform to tell people about your writing and the opportunity to meet other authors. They are extremely positive and very welcoming and have been very supportive to me so thank you GMTA!
   When I first set out to become an indie author I had no idea how eventful it would be, how supportive other writers were, how many skills I'd have to learn and I certainly had no idea just much it would take over my life. Next year it'll all be under control and I'm going to have a proper holiday away from it all! (Did you believe that?!)
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment