Tuesday, 6 September 2011

Who'd have thought dots would be so important?

You may have noticed that I've been a bit quiet over the past week. Unusual I know. I've been busy trying to use Createspace, i.e. converting my ebooks into 'proper' printed books. If you look at the picture of Grum, that'll tell you how it's been going.
    Both of my Burly & Grum books are ebooks at the moment but I've had a lot of feedback over the last few weeks from parents, and the majority of them tell me that they still prefer to read printed books to their children and actually, I have to agree that there is nothing quite like sitting down with your child and reading to them. I've just been putting off doing the conversion to print because I had this sneaking feeling in the pit of my stomach that it wouldn't be straightforward and hey, guess what, my gut feeling was spot on!
    Don't get me wrong, Createspace is great, it gives you all the tools and templates but the problem with my books is the fact I have quite a few drawings in the body of the text. 
    I spent one weekend doing the conversion. I designed a jacket cover for each book and worked hard on the content to ensure it was as perfect as possible before sending them off for the first part of the review process. It took less than 24 hours for Createspace to come back and tell me that some of the pictures were not of a good enough quality, that the dpi (dots per square inch) were below 300. If I wanted sharp, quality pictures I had to get them above the 300 mark. 
    There was no way I could let either Burly or Grum be fuzzy so I took a deep breath, sat down at the computer once more and painstakingly went through the drawings again and again trying to improve the quality. 
    I sent the books off for a second time but the feedback once more was polite but to the point - some of the the drawings are apparently still below 300dpi. Mind you, I have to stand and do a little cheer at this point because I had actually managed to improve the quality of the majority of drawings so it wasn't all bad (I'll just keep tell myself that!).
    Anyway, I'm going to keep plugging away at this - I just needed a breather before delving back into the world of dpi... wish me luck folks!  
    

No comments:

Post a Comment