Sunday, 8 January 2012

A bolt from the blue!

The first week of 2012 is now over and, actually, quite a lot has happened since my past post.
   Downloads of The Secret City from Amazon.com (as opposed to Amazon.co.uk) are very steady - approximately 1,000 a day. Now all I have to do is hope people like them and download Beyond the Forest -  fingers crossed everyone please!
   Over Christmas I thought a lot about how I market the books. Initially, I started out putting the Burly and Grum as ebooks on the internet to find out the processes of self-publishing; I've learnt a lot and now I want to take it to the next stage. The first two books are going to be available in print form from Amazon (hopefully by next weekend) and the third book will not be far behind, but I really wanted to go one step further and print them independently. If I can do this I'd be able to approach bookshops, etc. I'd also like to be able to sell products like cards, calendars, colouring books, etc. I'd printed a few Burly and Grum Christmas cards and they were a great success, so I was confident that's the right way to go. My biggest worry was how I was going to do this as I don't have the finance available to invest in developing it. 
   As it happens, I need not have worried because, out of the blue, a message was sent to me from an old friend, Pete, who said he was interested in putting some money in. I hadn't seen Pete for a couple of years but funnily enough we met pretty quickly after that message and chatted about Burly and Grum and what we both wanted. We've both had a chance to think about things and we're going to meet again this week to do some more talking and see if we can progress things to a more formal footing. There's quite a lot to think about.
   So the future for Burly and Grum is looking very different even from last week - please keep everything crossed, not just fingers, and I'll update you next week!

2 comments:

  1. This is exciting stuff and I can't wait to see what you have in store xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I applaude your courage, Kate. It's a big step to publish in print independently and I truly wish you the very best of luck with it. I really like the idea of associated products - that's clever marketing!
    I'll be keeping everything crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete