Sunday, 12 February 2012

Slightly baffled but happy!

This last week I've felt a little like Burly opening one of his birthday presents - surprised, slightly baffled and happy (and I've probably been wearing that same goofy expression on my face!)
  I've had some really positive feedback about the Burly & Grum Tales. Yes, real people out there in the wide world who have read them have actually taken the trouble to drop me a line, including an 8 year old girl called Charlotte who likes Burly and Grum so much she has created a powerpoint presentation about them. Amazing and pretty wonderful! It might sound corny, but when someone writes to say how much they like Burly & Grum, it does make it all worthwhile. So I'd like to say a huge thank you to everyone who has been in touch - I genuinely appreciate it.
  I'd also like to say a personal thank you to everyone at the Born Free Foundation, the charity that Burly & Grum supports. My goodness, they've been patient with me! Joanne, especially, has supported me every step of the way and has complete faith that Burly and Grum will be successful. Thank you Joanne and everyone at Born Free - you are wonderful and I hope that one day I'll be able to give you lots of money to help you protect wild animals!
  As you may have noticed, I really do love Burly and Grum. Burly is everything a bear should be, i.e. dependable, brave, cuddly... and Grum is everything a groblin should be, i.e. unpredictable, a bit strange sometimes but with a heart of gold. I've written three books about them now but want to write more - there are so many adventures still waiting for them! I can also see cuddly toys, colouring books, etc. but for now I think I'd better not get too carried away, concentrate on the three published books and try my hardest to market them.
  Every time I do something new as an indie author I undergo a massive learning curve. For example, this week I've discovered just how wide the gulf is between amazon.com and amazon.co.uk. The first two books were on sale in print version in the US through Createspace within an hour of pressing the 'go ahead' button, but will not be available via .amazon.co.uk for a while. Why is that? No one seems to have the answer.  Patience seems to be a word used a lot in the indie author world! I'll have to take up yoga!
  This coming week I'll be working on turning Burly & Grum and The Birthday Surprise into a print version and will be doing as much marketing as possible. Oh, and I can't forget to tell you that in January over 34,800 copies of The Secret City were downloaded. Thank you to everyone who downloaded and gosh, I hope you enjoyed reading it!
  Have a good week everyone :)

4 comments:

  1. Kate this is truly Amazing! Wow. I'm so happy for you. Let's just hope it continues to get better and better :) x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is an award waiting for you over on my Blog :) x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me again, ha ha, the award is actually on todays post, I got a bit confused as I typed the post yesterday but scheduled it in for today, blonde moment (again!) see you soon x x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gem! It's great to get an award - my first :)

      Delete