Sunday, 26 February 2012

Thumbs up!


This week my friends have excelled themselves in supporting both myself and Burly & Grum.
     When Thomas, aged 7, wrote to me asking me what Grum's secret middle name was, he gave me a great idea - why not run a competition on the Burly & Grum website to see what readers thought the name could be? I decided to offer signed copies of the first two books (as they're in print now), but I also wanted to try and involve the Born Free Foundation.  I dropped an email to Joanne who works there, and she suggested that one of the prizes could be a year's adoption of Ginny, the beautiful moon-bear (Burly likes Ginny a lot!). How brilliant is that? But then it got better! My big sister said she would give me £20 (or $25) so I could offer an Amazon voucher. I put the competition up on the website last night and have already had suggestions for Grum's middle name - Poddlemore, Puzzled, Persevere are just three of them. People are incredibly creative and I'm looking forward to see what else is put forward! If you've got any ideas, just let me know - you can write to me via the Burly & Grum Website.
    More locally, Steve from Stephen Alexander Hairdressing in Chelmsford is very enthusiastic about Burly and Grum. I dropped off some Burly & Grum cards for him to give out and he's also taken some colouring-in sheets so that young children and sit and do some colouring in while they're waiting for their mums to have their hair done. A colour poster of Burly & Grum is in their shop front. Pretty cool. Thanks Steve and Sam and Libby and everyone there!
  I've been in touch on and off over the last few months with another author called Jayde Scott. Although Jayde writes for older readers she has been incredibly helpful, offered me practical advice (the self-publishing process is a bit of a minefield so it's always good to have support!) and has put me in touch with another indie children's author, Patricia Puddle, who I look forward to talking to.
  When I get home each week night after a long commute it's sometimes hard to get motivated and start 'work' all over again (it's been especially difficult this week as I've had a rotten head cold...) and frankly I know that I wouldn't have got half as far as I have done without the enthusiastic support of my friends and family, so it's definitely thumbs up to friendship this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment