Sunday, 1 April 2012

Mums Rule. OK?!

The weather was glorious last week and, as I sat in my office in London gazing up at the blue sky above, I bet myself that the week I was off, i.e. this week, wouldn't be as nice. And yes, right on cue the temperature dropped, grey clouds formed and rain is now moving in... I suppose it's probably just as well, sunny weather would distract me from my List. Yes, like most mothers I have a List and for this coming week it's as long as my arm - take cats to vet, go to dentist (check-up only thank goodness), prepare car for MOT, print third book, write blog, etc. It covers two sides of A4 and is pinned to the notice board in my kitchen.
       At the top of the list is 'make sure prize winner gets prizes'. Yes! The Burly & Grum competition came to an end on Friday. For those of you who may not know what I'm talking about, I asked readers to guess Grum's middle name, which begins with a P. Every email I opened made me smile - there are a lot of people out there with great imaginations! Pantswasher was one of my favourites but there also Pembo, Pierre Plin Paul, Pickalo, Peregrine, Parker,Pepin, Pee, Puzzled, Poddlemore, Persevere - just brilliant names!! The winner was Kim who came up with the name Pungent - I really loved this name because although Grum does actually smell a bit, it makes him sound quite refined as well, a nice combination. So well done Kim!

      Now, what else is on my list? Ah yes, mums! Mums are fab, wonderful people and most of them, like me, endlessly juggle and run around trying to do a million things at one. The Easter break is almost here so I'd like to offer all you hard working mums my second book Burly & Grum and The Secret City for FREE*! Hopefully you can get a bit of break while the kids read it :) If you read it to them yourself, make sure you make yourself a nice cup of tea and relax. Click on either of these two links to download - The Secret City - UK or The Secret City - US.
      I met a group of three wonderful mums on Friday evening and they were so interested in what I doing and were very encouraging, offering me good advice. They all said that most mums don't especially want their children to have Kindles - they love the experience of sitting down with their children and reading to them from a book. I totally agree, there is nothing like reading a story to your children and I sincerely hope this will never change - books should be read and loved, dog-eared and taken everywhere, they're brilliant! However, having said that, I do think there's room for both ebooks and print books in this world and one of my friends says her 9 year old daughter loves her Kindle - she's at the age she likes reading to herself and can have all her favourites in one place (doesn't get out of bed so much was the phrase that kept cropping up!). She also helps her two younger brothers to read by making the print larger so it's easier for them to follow. As I say, there's definitely room for both!
      I must get on with my list and do a bit of gardening before the rain sets in. Have a good week everyone, especially all you mums out there! :)
*The offer is for ebooks only.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog, because now I have found yours! I love the names of your book characters - my oldest boy would love them, so thank you for enabling us to download the book. Can't wait to read it to my boy! Your newest follower by the way :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi welcome and thank you so much for leaving a message - I'm all nervous now, I hope your son likes the Secret City, I laughed a lot as I wrote it which I think is a good sign! :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Kate.

    I completely agree with the mums...there is nothing like a real book and great illustrations like yours!

    Thanks for the comment on my blog. The pie is so yummy! Let me know how you get on with it : )

    Gemma xXx

    ReplyDelete