Sunday, 29 April 2012

So close, so close and yet so far!

 
Although all three Burly and Grum books are available as e-books, only two of them are available in print. I've been waiting for what seems like forever for the proof copy of the third book to arrive and yesterday, finally, it did!  It was waiting for me on the doorstep when I got back from shopping and I have to confess I did a little jig of happiness as I unwrapped it. Finally, I have a trilogy!
    The cover looks great (thank you Richard for the expert tidying up!) and, flipping through the pages, I could see that the print and images are clear and easy to read (although my old camera doesn't do it justice, sorry!). I have to admit I was very happy.

    But a proof copy is a proof copy for a reason so I settled down last night and went through it with a fine tooth comb. I have to admit I was pretty confident I wouldn't have to change much because, frankly, I'd already proof read it a thousand times. Hah, that'll teach me!  The book now has about 30 yellow tabs hanging out of the side and each one refers to a change I've made!  This morning I went on Kindle Direct Marketing page and updated the Kindle version and this afternoon I've worked through the Createspace version making sure everything is in order. That final print version will have to wait a few more weeks because I do want it to be as near perfect as possible.
   In my last blog I mentioned that I was thinking about recording sections of the Burly & Grum books (maybe even all of the books!) but that I had to do some research to find out what children wanted. I've been out and about collecting opinions to find out what kids thought and you know what? They're a sophisticated lot - never under estimate a 7 year old! I aim to start working on this project very soon.
    I also thought I'd like to improve the Burly & Grum website and create some games for children. I put in 'Spot the Difference' game and received some very positive feedback. My son is working on word search and, again, I've got a few other ideas bubbling away in the background. They might not be the most sophisticated games but I'm working on improving things to the best of my technical and financial ability! One website I absolutely love is the most wonderful Magicbelles - if you have a moment, do go on it, it is fabulous, just the kind of website I'd love Burly & Grum to have! 
    When that proof copy arrived yesterday I momentarily felt that that was it, I'd completed everything I'd set out to do with Burly & Grum. Who did I think I was kidding?!  Today I've submitted an updated version, I've looked at ways of recording the books and improving the website and I still have a lot to do on the marketing side. I don't think I'll ever properly 'finish' Burly & Grum - there will always be something else to do, to learn and frankly, I'm having a great time!

1 comment:

  1. It sounds amazing Kate. I love the idea of the games on the website and the blog layout is looking fab :) I can't wait to see what is next in this exciting adventure x x x x

    ReplyDelete