Monday, 27 August 2012

Getting back into the swing of things

Today is the last day of my holiday and tomorrow I'll be back at work. Sigh. I should say that I do like my job, it's just the commuting I'm not looking forward to. When the train system works the daily trek into London isn't too bad and, I suppose, it actually gives me some quiet time that I try to make the most of it by doing a little bit of Burly and Grum plotting and planning, but when there's a problem with the trains the journey becomes an absolute nightmare.
    My routine tends to be the same most days. I'm not exactly at my best in the morning and within half an hour of tipping out of bed I'm standing, half-asleep, at my bus stop waiting for the bus to take me to the train station. If I manage to get a seat on a train I tend to nap for the first quarter of an hour - it helps me to ease myself into the day after the somewhat brutal start!  I tend not to write very much in the morning but use the 40 odd minutes to read and edit using my Kindle.
     When I get off the train at Liverpool Street station and am swept up in the great tide of grey-suited humanity it reminds me of the time I lived in the West Indies and went diving regularly. Why? Well it's certainly not because of the climate and there are definitely no white, sandy beaches in sight, it's because I always think commuters are like huge shoals of fish. When you dive regularly you realise that although there are seemingly endless fish passing through there are always those that are constant, for example, a little family of sea horses always lived in the same place and a couple of angel fish were always sitting waiting for me on a particular corner of a reef. It's the same with commuters, the first impression is overwhelming but then you get to see the constants and realise there is order amongst the chaos. It's taken some time but now I'm beginning to recognise certain people and have even nodded hello to a few of them! I love the rich variety that surrounds me and even shuffling slowly along the platform amongst the crowd I hear and see the most surprising things - every day is different and I get great ideas for my books. 
       So maybe it won't be too bad tomorrow morning and I'll be back into the swing of things before I know it. There's certainly a lot for me to think about on the commute - the audio books are coming along well, a friend of mine, Carol, is creating Burly and Grum cards and Louise, from Essex Mums, is reading a couple of the books with a view to asking children to review them - yes, interesting things are always happening, but please just keep your fingers crossed that the trains are working  properly tomorrow!
      Update: and some extra news! Jaimie Hope, an amazing author generously invited me to write a piece for her blog and here it is - Spotlight on: Kate Tenbeth.  Do read the rest of her blog, it's well worth it because Jaimie is a genuinely talented author who shares her knowledge and works incredibly hard. Her website is http://www.jaimiehope.com/ and check out her author page on Amazon!

No comments:

Post a Comment