Sunday, 16 September 2012

Patience is a virtue


Yes, Burly wants that pancake! He's looking a bit woebegone and anxious because he knows he's got to wait until it's ready and I have to say I know how he feels!  I love Burly and Grum but sometimes things don't go as quickly as I'd like them to. Working full time, commuting into London and trying to write and market the books has been challenging mostly because I have all these ideas and things I want to do and I can't jump up and down and run off and do them immediately, I have to be patient, write my ideas down and then wait until I get home at night before I can do anything. Trust me, it's been a real test of my character and I keep reminding myself of Gandhi's words - "There's more to life than increasing its speed". He was a wise man indeed.
    There has, however, been activity in the Burly & Grum world. Pat Scullion, who is recording the Burly and Grum books, has come up trumps and the first two chapters of Beyond the Forest have been put to bed. The recording has been more time consuming than either of us thought because we both wanted to get the voices for the characters absolutely right. Now the voices are sorted the recording should go ahead reasonably quickly and I'm hoping to have the three books available in good time for Christmas.
     I've been writing the Halloween story and I think it's good so far - I usually judge this by the fact I laugh as I type away. Or maybe I just need to get out more!  Anyway, I thought I would run a competition to see if anyone can guess who Burly and Grum are going to dress up as when they go trick or treating. I'll be organising that in the near future!
     I've also been tidying up my Young Adult book Unlucky Dip which will be published on 1 October. Writing for a different audience has really made me think about how I manage all this. Do I set up a different blog now? What about a Facebook page? How do I link it all together? Should I link it all together? I'm going to have to plan carefully - like so many people I already juggle so much and I don't want to run around creating lots of extra work for myself, I need to be patient and make sure that what I do is worthwhile. So, patience really is a virtue and I, for one, am going to have to practice it a lot in the near future!

2 comments:

  1. I think patience tests all of us at some point in our life. like you I want everything done yesterday, but knowing that is unattainbale I set deadlines and plans, and if the dealine is missed well does it really matter. I believe things happen for a reason and sometimes I hear myself saying 'phew, that was a near'egg of face' moment'. Everything will fall into place - I'd check out Burly and Grum's backpacks for any spare patience they might have :) n x have a lovely day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, everything will fall into place and if it doesn't then that's okay as well. I'll definitely check the backpacks - I think Burly's got loads of patience stashed away in his, but I have my doubts about Grum's! You have a lovely day too :)

      Delete