Saturday, 26 January 2013

Tigers!



I can now tell you a little more about the tiger event I'll be involved in. The Born Free Foundation is working with the Clinton Partnership and Save Wild Tigers to help raise money and also awarness of the plight of wild tigers. Tiger Tracks will be the world's biggest tiger event and is being held at St Pancras Station, London between 1st-21st March this year. There will be a wide variety of events taking place throughout the three weeks and I am very proud to be part of it. I'm writing a Burly & Grum tiger story specifically for the event and will be reading to children at 11.30am on Saturday, 16 March at Foyles, St Pancras Station. Pat Scullion will be with me to help out, not only with the reading but with some art sessions. We both hope that as well as having fun we can explain to children and adults the importance of trying to save tigers from extinction - there are only approximately 3,500 left in this world and we need to help them before it's too late. 
     Another important thing that's happened is that I've been contacted by a writer called Jeff Rivera who asked if he can interview me. Being British and therefore sometimes being somewhat cautious I replied - really? Me? You mean meHe's interviewed Hugh Hefner, Stan Lee, Jackie Collins, Jamie Raab, Fergie, Enrique Iglesias, Avril Lavigne, Macy Gray, Joel Schumacher, James Patterson, Janet Evanovich, Jeff Kinney, Harlan Coben as well as 200 others so maybe you can understand my confusion! He's yet to reply back to my message - he probably thinks I'm a brick short of a load!! Reading through his site and also having read his book for children Um...Mommy, I Think I Flushed My Brother Down The Toilet he seems like a great person with a wonderful sense of humour so here's hoping it all works out!
     Right, I'm just off to the library now to finish off my tiger story. It was either that or vacuum. No contest - writing won!  Have a good week everyone!


4 comments:

  1. Yes tigers over vacuuming any day. Mind you its vacuuming over ironing, because ironing is just the worst job in the world. Ha Ha

    Excuse me for asking but my son has a first class hons degree in illustrative art and wanted to find some illustrating jobs have you any advice how he should go about it. Any info would be interesting thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi - my sister loves ironing - yes, loves it! Unfortunately she lives so far away from me she can't do mine...

      I was talking about illustrative art the other day with a friend of mine who runs a graphic design company in London. Rob, who does the art for B&G and who used to work for him, I've known for over 20 years now and he is of the 'old school', i.e. he works with pens and paper - I love that style and that is why we work together now. It is incredibly hard for graduates to get experience, let alone a job and the advice I would give he probably already knows. If he is interested in book cover design, for example, I would tell him to sign up to LinkedIn, look for author groups (such as children's books) because they often chat and ask each other about cover design. Young adult books have never been so popular so he should find sites where they read each other's work and swop ideas - Wattpad is one good site. A young artist friend of mine has had a lot of work from her Pinterest board. Social media networking does work, but your son has to break down what kind of work he's after and then go logically about finding out where people 'hang out'. I know that's not much but I hope it's of some help - tell him good luck! Kate :)

      Delete
    2. Sorry taken so long to get back to you but have been away. ?Thank you for this advice I have told him to get a blog up and running and hes working on some stuff at the moment. However, when you work 8.30 to 5.30 all week it doesn't leave much time. Sadly his job makes no use of his artistic skills but as he has said having a job, any job is essential.
      thank you though for your interest and advice

      Delete
    3. Ps love the blog by the way

      Delete