Saturday, 4 May 2013

An interview with the Empyrical Mr Mark Miller

 
Today I have a very talented children's author, Mark Miller, as my guest. Mark lives in Florida with his wife Traci and their four children. The books that I've read in his Empyrical Tales fantasy series are extremely well written, have strong, positive characters and to top it all they're very exciting and action packed! He is brimming with energy, ideas and enthusiasm for writing so I was keen to ask him all about his own writing, starting at the very beginning....
 
What inspired you to begin writing?
I joke that it is genetic. My father refers to himself as an “old newspaper man” and he named me after Mark Twain. I guess it was inevitable. I have been writing, in some form or another, since grade school.

I love the fact that your father named you after Mark Twain! He passed on his love of words to you and now you’ve passed on your love of writing to your children because I believe they’ve helped you with your books. What kind of input do they have and will we be seeing any books from them in the future?
My youngest daughter, Olivia, and I co-wrote Sons of the King. It is a sci-fi/fantasy about faith and destiny. She had a lot of creative input; naming characters and places. Some of the dialogue and writing is entirely hers. We shaped the plot together and nothing went to print without her approval.
  


Empyrical Tales is a wonderful series of 3 books, can you tell us more about them and why you love writing fantasy so much.
The Empyrical Tales are only just beginning. There will be eight books when the story is complete. I originally wrote it for my children and based the characters on them. It has grown so much since then. The basic idea came from what might happen to the fairytales and myths of my childhood after “happily ever after”. Characters and creatures of myths, folklore and fairytales from all cultures and parts of the world have come to live in Empyrean with my own unique twist. As to why I love fantasy, I grew up on it. Star Wars and Narnia are among my favourite stories. In the United States, and probably the world, the early 1980s had to be one of the best times for the fantasy genre and I was at an impressionable age.

What has been the most exciting part of being a published author? 
I’ve done some special events. Authors in the Park has been about the most fun. Still, the most exciting times are when I get to interact with students. My adult readers are great, but young readers always seem to have a unique point of view. I love being in the classroom and watching kids’ reactions.
 
I know we’d all love to know a bit more about Authors in the Park and how you became involved in it.

Authors in the Park (AIP) came about as a result of meeting two wonderful authors, Janet Beasley and Jean E. Lane. I had the honour of becoming an executive member of JLB Creatives (www.JLBCreatives.com) and things exploded from there. We wanted to do something different than a typical library show or one-author signing. AIP is intended to showcase a variety of local and independent authors. Janet, Jean and I present our books at the shows, but we try to take a backseat to the other great authors in attendance. Please like us at www.FB.com/AuthorsInThePark to see our upcoming events and find links to participating authors. We have four themed events each year: Spring Into Art, Picnic with an Author, Booktoberfest and the Christmas Spectacular. Each event will have anywhere from ten to thirty authors and they are different each time. You never know who might be there next! The next event will be on July 6th at Gilbert Park in Mount Dora, FL from 11AM to 1PM. One of our local churches will be doing a fund raiser selling hot dogs, so guests will literally have the opportunity to sit down and have a “Picnic with an Author”.

You also combine a lot of charity work in your work and your life in general.  Do your beliefs influence your writing and, if so, how?
Again, it’s about the kids. The charities that I work with are all about helping children. I have four of my own and have been blessed with generally good health. I’m not a millionaire philanthropist, but I try to give back when I can. With the One series (www.FB.com/MarkMillersOne), I donate 100% of my author proceeds and encourage the other authors to do the same. All of them have been great and eager to be a part of it. Yes, my beliefs do influence my writing. I have always tried to have positive role models and good morals on display. It has grown to be a bigger part of my writing in recent years.


 
What do you do to prepare for a writing session?
Prepare? Are we supposed to do that? I usually write when the mood strikes. Sometimes, it is two in the morning, or a typical Saturday afternoon. I have tried to write on a schedule, but that seldom works out as planned. As close as I come to preparation is the research I put into each project. I do outlining and plotting, but the physical act of writing is very spontaneous.

Does writing get easier with each project?
Yes and no. I try to challenge myself. I get a little more ambitious and learn new things. Some days, it flows and I surprise myself, like an athlete getting “in the zone”. Other days, it is difficult to stay off Facebook.

Is there an author (past or present) that you would really like to meet?
Is there one I wouldn’t want to meet? Every author that I have encountered has a story. I enjoy meeting them and hearing their tales, trying to put myself in their shoes. There are some inspiring authors out there that haven’t quite made it big. I’m pulling for them. Of course, I would like to meet my namesake. I wonder if I could hold my own against his wit? Tolkien would be another. And of course, Stephen King. He came a long way and that journey is inspirational and motivational for an up and coming author.

If you could talk to your former self, what advice would you give him?
Funny. I talk to myself a lot anyway. I would probably say things like “Listen to your wife more. Be patient. Have faith.” I wouldn’t say I have ever felt like giving up on writing, but I have had days when I haven’t felt like writing. It is a slow process to build a body of work and get people to recognize your name. Our society is so much about instant gratification that the publishing process can be slow and frustrating. I find a lot of satisfaction in writing when I am doing it to help others, like Authors in the Park.

Are you currently working on any other projects?
I am always working on something. The Empyrical Tales Book IV, Small World Global Protection Agency #3, Defective Amish Detective short story series. Working with JLB Creatives, this has been one of my busiest years in terms of author events and book signings since being first published. I have to give a huge amount of credit to my wife Traci. She makes most of what I do possible and she is my muse.

 
What is the last thing you read? Did you like it, hate it?
I have weakness for zombie stories. I read World War Z and the Pride & Prejudice & Zombies prequel. I found them both entertaining. I am also in the midst of both Janet Beasley’s Hidden Earth Series Volume 1: Maycly and Jean E. Lane’s Lill and Mewe and the Secrets of Mars. Both are delightful stories and great for kids – lots of inspiration and education. It is a treat to read an author’s book, then be able to turn to them in the seat next to you and ask a question or give a compliment.

Those books sound great - I'll have to read them, thanks for the tip! Tell us about your latest novel and your plans for the future!
My newest story is called Promise of Tomorrow. It is a serialized novel. Volume 1: Salvation is available now in eBook. My publisher, Helping Hands Press, has been doing this format for about two years. Recently, Amazon added a category for it. Basically, each month, I write a volume of the story until we get about ten volumes, which is roughly the equivalent of a full novel. I can’t say much about it without giving away the big surprise of Volume 2: Discovery. What I can say is that it is my first stand-alone, serious attempt at Amish fiction. It gives me a chance to reach an entirely new audience and affirm my own beliefs at the same time. On the side, I am editing and revising The Empyrical Tales Book IV: The First Queen. I am also assisting my daughter Olivia with a new project and trying out a few other ideas.

Mark - thank you so much for being a guest on the Burly & Grum blog. We all think you're a great inspiration for writers, you're always trying to come up with new ideas and are very encouraging and generous to up and coming authors. We wish you all the best and I'm sure your future in writing will be wonderful!

Thank you so much for the opportunity to appear on your blog. Please visit www.MillerWords.com and give me a like at www.FB.com/MarkMillerAuthor.

You can see my full catalogue on Amazon at http://amzn.to/136yhks

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Kate! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful interview. It's always great to read about authors like Mark. As the owner of JLB Creatives I can honestly say that he has far exceeded the dreams and ideas I've had for JLB Creatives through his knowledge, super attitude, and dedication to the company. Thanks Mark for all you do, and thank you Kate for doing the interview with Mark - outstanding job by the both of you! ~Janet~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janet, I'm so pleased you like the interview - mind you, it was easy to think of questions because he's done so much and is so enthusiastic about his writing and involving others! Good luck to you both with JLB Creatives
      :)

      Delete