Sunday, 19 May 2013

Introducing an inspiring young author - Olivia Miller

A couple of weeks ago I interviewed Mark Miller, children's author and discovered that his daughter, Olivia, is following in his footsteps - she 
co-authored 'Sons of The King' with him and now has many more plans....

You must be so proud to see your name next to your father’s on the front cover of ‘Sons of the King’. Can you tell me what the story is about?
Olivia: I am proud. It’s about three brothers who have a life changing turn and go their own separate ways for many years until they meet their destiny. There are thieves, sword fights, haunted forests and aliens. 

 ('Sons of the King' is available in paperback or ebook)

That sounds really exciting!! Can you remember how old you were when you first wanted to help your father with his books?
Not really. I think I was between seven and nine because I remember wanting to help illustrate some of his other books a while ago. My third grade teacher liked my writing in class, so my dad asked me to write a story with him.

Can you tell me how you work together?  Do you sit down and do some the writing yourself or do you talk to your father and tell him what you’d like put in the story?
A little of both, but I do most of the editing. I have final say on everything after he writes it.

Do you have any say in the characters?  If so, where do you get your ideas from?
Yes, I named all of the characters and towns. Some of the characters are ones I created for a story I tried to write on my own.

Did you help to design the cover of ‘Sons of the King’?
Partly. We work together.

Olivia and her father working well together!

Do any of your brothers and sisters like to write?  And what do your friends think about the fact you’re  a published author?
Some of them, and at that, not very much. My little brother wrote a story about the video game Minecraft. My older brother started a story, but he is always busy on the computer talking to his friends. My friends think it is pretty cool that I’m an author.

Do you help out with Authors in thePark and get to meet other writers?  It must be lots of fun!
I helped set up tables once and I do meet some of the authors. I get to be in the October show and that will be fun!

What kind of books do you like to read and who are your favourite authors?
I love fantasy books! Besides my father, my favourite author is J.K. Rowling.

I love JK Rowling too!  What is your favourite subject at school? 
Reading. Technically, it is my second favourite subject, but art class was cancelled.

I can't believe art class has been cancelled and I hope it gets reinstated soon :)  You’re obviously very creative – what else are you interested in as well as writing?
Reading and art. I love both a lot.

Have you got any plans to write and publish your own books?  If you have, can you tell me all about it!
I do. I have an idea for a children’s picture book. It was inspired by some tinfoil statues I made.
 Tinfoil Girl by Olivia Miller

Well I'm looking forward to reading the book when you've finished it - a story inspired by tinfoil statues has to be exciting!

Thank you for letting me answer some questions. It made me feel special.

Thank you so much for coming on the Burly & Grum blog Olivia, it has been an absolute pleasure and I know you're going to be a great inspiration to other young writers all over the world!  Keep on writing and keep on drawing :)

You can find out more about Olivia by going to her Goodreads page 
Additional links to find out more about Mark Miller and his work: 
www.FB.com/MarkMillerAuthor  or www.MillerWords.com

5 comments:

  1. Fantastic! Thank you - it made her day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a very special young lady and it made my day as well! :)

      Delete
  2. Wow thats so awesome your daughter started writing too..Sure shes going to have alot of great books as well as you have out..Congrats to you and Olivia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic interview! Oliva is quite the aspiring writer. Thanks so much for this interview. It's always so cool to read about kids who are authors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janet - She is a star isn't she? And I'm sure if other children read her story they'll want to write as well (I do hope so anyway!). Katex

      Delete