Sunday, 30 June 2013

The School Visit

I think that summer may finally have made an appearance! It's been a beautiful weekend, lovely and sunny - I've opened wide all the windows in my house to let the breeze through, I'm in my shorts and sitting in the garden and all is well with the world. Can't get much better really.
     I've been busy on the Burly and Grum front - the vist to Our Lady & St George's School went very well. I've put a few photos below (photographs of students are not allowed to be shown web sites other than the school's, which is fair enough, so the photos below are of children with their heads down writing or drawing away!)
 

     I actually ended up speaking to over 180 children. The first group were aged 6/7 and we worked on writing a short story or a poem about animals and the importance of taking care of the environment because it was EcoWeek at the school. I was so impressed by their concentration and the quality of the work they produced was wonderful - I don't think I was able to write as well when I was their age!
     The second group I spoke to were younger, aged 5/6. We discussed the importance of looking after animals again, I read a piece from Burly & Grum and The Tiger's Tale and then they spent time colouring in some sheets I'd brought along.  After lunch (great school lunch by the way!). I went to the Upper School and met with my third and final group of Year 3 students (7/8 year olds) and they created a comic strip story. They worked incredibly hard and produced some excellent work which I know they were all proud of and quite rightly so, the quality was outstanding.
      Everyone at the school made me feel very welcome, the children were a joy to work with; not only were they polite, they were all so enthusiastic about stories and writing. Thank you everyone and I hope to come back and visit at some point to see how you're all doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment