Sunday, 11 August 2013

Great News for The Secret City!


    The People's Book Prize aims to find, support and promote the work of new authors and celebrates reading. It's unusual in that the prizewinners in each category (Fiction, Non-Fiction and Children) are actually chosen by members of the public, i.e. anyone can pop onto the site and vote for the book they like best. The patron is Frederick Forsyth CBE but the brainchild behind it is Tatiana Wilson who wants to give new authors an equal chance in the marketplace. All I can say is well done Tatiana!
    I've supported other authors by voting for their work but then a few weeks ago Burly & Grum and The Secret City was put forward as a contender to The People's Book Prize organiser and it was accepted! How wonderful is that? In a few weeks people will be voting for (or not!) for The Secret City - I'm absolutely terrified and thrilled at the same time! I'll certainly keep everyone updated with what's happening. 


    It's also been a great week because both The Birthday Surprise and The Halloween Adventure received 5* reviews. I try not to get too caught up in looking for reviews because that way obsession lies but every now and again I pop onto the various sites - Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Smashwords etc to see how Burly & Grum are doing and I was really pleased to see the new reviews. To me, the fact that someone has taken time out of their day to sit and write about one of my books means a lot - this is a busy world and it's easy to read a book and move onto the next one without leaving a review but they are important to us authors because we can't improve without listening to what readers have to say. So keep on writing those reviews - good or bad - we need them!
   At the moment I'm also planning to do lots of writing during my leave - I'll be getting up early each day and sitting down to write so I can get out and enjoy the sun. Those who know me will be raising their eyebrows at this declaration because I'm really not good in the morning but I promise I'll be doing my best!  I'd also like to pop along to the London Writers' Cafe for an event they're holding for children/YA authors - it's always good to meet other authors and also to learn from the experts. I've a busy time ahead and I have to say that I'm really looking forward to it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment