Sunday, 19 January 2014

The Whole World is Out There



    Before Christmas I took an 8 week Storytelling course with Iversity. It was online and it was free - yay! - I spent about 2 hours a week working on it although I could easily have spent a lot more time going through the different modules. It really opened my eyes to endless possibilities especially with regard to transmedia and it left me feeling restless and wanting to do a lot more with Burly and Grum. But what and how without any money behind me? 
    So this year has started off quietly because I've been thinking a lot and also having long chats with my friends Pat Scullion (who did the voice-over for The Halloween Adventure and who is a talented designer, artist, animator) and also my publisher, Stuart Wakefield, a talented author in his own right. We've talked about doing audio blogs, redesigning the website, more social networking, audio books, book apps, approaching agents - in short I've gone around in circles. Nothing new there I hear you say! 
   But somehow, out of all of the ideas that have been discussed, creating a book app is the most appealing - I can put in a bit of animation (I think animation would suit Burly and Grum beautifully and bring their characters to life) and get creative but it is expensive so I'll have to put my thinking cap on and find a way around this. That's what thinking caps are for - finding solutions to problems.
    This week you'll find me researching book apps and I have to say I'm really quite excited about it. I can see very clearly in my mind's eye what I want and I feel as though I've just taken that first tentative step although the right path so (a) keep your fingers crossed and (b) I'll keep you posted with how the journey goes!

2 comments:

  1. I have my fingers crossed, this sound so exciting. Wishing you, Burly and Grum all the luck! n x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ngaire - I'll let you know how I go, but meanwhile if you're interested in apps have a look on authorly.com :)

      Delete